Monday, May 28, 2012

Race to Witch Mountain (2009)

I have planned to watch this movie for quite a while, but haven't been motivated to do so.  A couple of days ago, I caught part of the movie on TV, and it looked interesting and a bit fun, so I thought I would go back and watch the whole thing.

As a kid, I watched the original film, and it's sequel I believe, so I thought I should see what they did with it.  Honestly, the original films were not that great, but that is not what they were striving for.  Disney was pumping out a lot of G rated live action films, which were good enough and entertaining, but not spectacular.  I did enjoy the film as a kid, but there were some pretty hokey special effects and a few inconsitancies which kinda stuck out.

With this new film Race to Witch Mountain, I wasn't expecting that improving the special effects would have a major effect on the quality of the picture, and it didn't.  It turns out that the place where I started watching the film from was near the middle, and the first hour or so proceeding it was not all that enthralling.

The whole mystery of the kids origin which was a key issue in the original film, was completely absent from this film.  The film was a mishmash of action, sci fi and a few other elements stuck in.  Added to that there was some kind of bounty hunter who wasn't particularly relevant, except for occasionally motivating the protagonists to vacate from their present location, as well as some questionable actions by the star of the film "The Rock", made this a rather mediocre film.

No comments:

Post a Comment