Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Strange Old Movies

I often find movies that I intend to watch, sometimes I read an interesting article about the film (like the film was shunned by Hollywood, is a title that I have heard a thousand times but never seen). These movies are not always old nor strange, but I have a mental list of these films and I eventually get around to watching them. I thought it would be interesting to write about the odd variety of films I watch.

I generally prefer watching films that either teach me something so they are educational to a degree (not in the way you learn about math, but that say something about American life, such as problems in the system, or films that show something about the world and a times I watch films just for entertainment value, but I am not entertained by action scenes and lots of explosions. It has to be a kind of thinking man's film for it to keep my interest.

I also was watching a lot of animated movies about a year ago, because I find animated film's creativity is not stifled. But I watched so many of them (including EVERY SINGLE Disney animated theatrical feature ever produced) that my list of animated films to watch is now empty. I have seen a lot of odd animated films, including the French "Time Masters", The Brave Little Toaster and Interstella 5555 among others. I have been unable to sit through only one of Bakshi's films, Wizards, because I found the animation style unappealing, character's uninteresting and story not intriguing, I haven't bothered with his other films. Also, he likes to attempt to make sexy characters, but I always find they completely lack any appeal, perhaps because they have been so cartoonized.

No comments:

Post a Comment