Tuesday, March 22, 2011

South Pacific

Another musical which I have known the name well, but had never seen.

This musical features excellent music that we have all heard countless times including "One Enchanted Evening" and "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Out of My Hair", which you may recall from a Clairol commercial, with one word changed. The song Bali Hai, is simply mystical and enchanting.

The film itself was quite good, featuring a excellent cast, gorgeous scenery as well as the aforementioned music. The story was a bit simple and the moral question the main female character faces is would be a non issue in our current society. I also was troubled by the needless death of one of the characters, but I guess it's hard to question, as such is the result of war.

It just happened that Juanita Hall played a prominate role in this film, as well as the proceeding film I watched, Flower Drum Song. Both performance were excellent, though I didn't realize that it was the same actress until I looked her up in wikipedia after watching this film. I think she did a great job of recreating a Polynesian accent (though I have never heard one, and they may no longer exist) that sounded plausible.

Also in a small role this film featured French Nuyen, who appeared in and episode of Star Trek "Elann of Troyius", and was the mistaken motivation for the viewing of my next film.

No comments:

Post a Comment