Friday, March 18, 2011

L'il Pimp

The title alone is enough to give you an odd feeling about this film. I was partially motivated to see this film because I read that Hollywood had disowned it, which is often a sign unbridled free thought of and a lack of commercialization. Also, the cast included actors whose work I have enjoyed, most prominently, William Shatner, but also featuring Jennifer Tilly, who I remember from Moving Violations. I guess I should also mention that Tom Kenny (SpongeBob SquarePants) also voices some characters in this film, but I doubt that would have any much influence my decision to watch this film. (Though I still have great respect for Tom Kenny, and voice actors in general)

As I have said elsewhere, I am a big fan of animated films, and I found this film by googling the terms "strange animated films", and once I found out it was rejected by Hollywood I had to see it for myself.

Unfortunately, I have had trouble finding anything redeeming about this film. The animation is that which is pretty typical of recent Saturday morning cartoons, flat characters with limited animations (often only animating the part of the character that moves, so the body will be like a cardboard cut out, with only the lips moving) and computer rendered, color-by-numbers look, giving no shades or shadows. Also, the characters are drawn in a simple style, as is typical of Saturday morning cartoons as well. This detracts from the film two fold, as it lacks style, but also this film seems to want to show cartoon sexualization, like Bakshi, but ends up with characters that don't have any sexual appeal.

The main character is some what of a typical little boy, who is reminiscent of Butters, on the TV show South Park. He tries to do what adults ask of him, but also picks up words from those people around him and ends up getting involved in situations that his mother objects to.

I would assume this film was supposed to be entertaining in some way, but found it neither funny nor were the characters intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment