Monday, April 4, 2016

Black Mass (2015)

Of course, being set in Boston and knowing of a little of the history, I had to see this film.  I have heard various things about Whitey Bulger, including my father having repeatedly pointed out the location where Whitey buried several of his victims bodies, which was near where my father docked his boat.

Still, I only new a little about Whitey Bulger before watching this film.  Of course it was interesting to learn the history of what Whitey Bulger did and how it went on for so long.  While it shows a lot of vicious killings, I have been told the truth is far worse and more gruesome.

The setting and camera work of the movie were superb, as they completely captured the look and feel of Boston and, more specifically, Southie.

Most of the roles that Johnny Depp takes have him play a character who is are not even vaguely handsome, as he never relies on this looks.  I have always respected Johnny Depp for not taking the easy way out and just making pretty boy films, which with his considerable female fan-base would have provided ample box office returns.  

I don't understand why this film wasn't nominated for any academy awards.  I was shocked that Johnny Depp didn't get an oscar for his work in this film.  He did a much better job than decaprio, who should only get an oscar for acting not gay for all these years.

The entire time I was watching Black Mass I kept wondering if it really was Johnny Depp. Not once did Johnny Depp give any indication of who he was other than Whitey Bulger.  Even his contact lenses seemed like his actual eyes, which is odd because whenever you see some one wearing colored contacts in real life the stand out as looking unnatural.

This film certainly was interesting.  It would be hard to call it "enjoyable", as Whitey did so many horrific things depicted in the film, but it was certainly a good watch, and I recommend it highly.  Still, it is hard to say if some one not interested in Boston or learning more about Whitey Bulger would like this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment