Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

I ended up watching The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) in the theater before I had watched the first of the Hobbit films, so I only now went back to watch it.  While I enjoyed Lord of the Rings (the books and even the animation, but a bit less so with the films), I haven't been all the motivated to see the Hobbit films, even though I prefer that story to that of Lord of the Rings.

This film played out well, as it had enough action (not necessarily fighting) taking place to keep the film moving.

It does seem that wizards primary function is to fight with a staff.  Weren't they supposed to cast spells?

It seems that Gollum's part in the film was smaller than expected.  With so much time to work with (three films worth) I thought they would have spent more time on Gollum.  It seems like the spend about the same amount of time that was spent on it as in the animated version.

I cannot recall if the film match the book more closely, of if there has been a great deal of embellishment.  I did not recall the scene in Bilbo's house or the battles with the goblin's from the books at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment