Friday, September 5, 2014

Dark Future (1994)

Not the most inspired of posters
I, for some strange reason love a dystopian story and have lately been watching a few of Greydon Clark's films, so I thought I would check this one out.  It is supposed to be a science fiction film, but also was listed as horror, and since I don't generally care for horror films I was a bit wary of watching this one.

It turns out is is not much of a horror film, though I read a review that some one wrote saying the film was really scary to them as a kid.  It's not much of a science fiction film either, though.  It does has a dystopian, oppressive society setting, but other than that and laser guns that look like toys, the film has little to suggest it was set in anything other than the 80s.

Also, the cast is rather unremarkable, being that I did not recognize a single actor in the film.

The film was modestly enjoyable but extremely simple in both plot and dialogue.  It is as if some one came up with two or three lines of a concept, and then decided to just start filming from there.  The dialogue seems completely uninspired.  While this seems like a harsh criticism, I understand that this film was made on an extremely low budget, and it's any film has the potential for entertainment and a spark a creativity.

I am curious where the beginning scene with the exceptionally long escalator was filmed (still don't know why Logan's Run or any other film thought it was a good idea to include escalators in a science fiction film, they are technology from the late 1800s).

After doing a bit of research, the closest matching escalator is the one in the St. Petersburg Metro, but I find it hard to believe the budget of this film covered a trip to Russia.  The second possibility is the Washington Metro Wheaton Escalator.

No comments:

Post a Comment