Monday, November 25, 2019

Weathering You (2019)

I watched this at the Honolulu International Film Festival, as my roommate was working for the festival, he made me aware of this film.

It was quite nice to see Tokyo rendered so faithfully, including even tiny details, like the seams that are present on some street, though they did not show any of the elevated high ways that dominate and loom over everything.

The story stared out ordinary enough (being there were no supernatural elements), but soon verged off.

I am a bit surprised at the title, as I have heard of the term "ame no otoko" rain person, some one who people feel brings on the rain.  This is not something they do actively.

I have never heard of "hare no ko" a person who brings sunshine, so I am not sure if this was just a concept made up for the film.

It was an interesting film to watch, but I wonder if some of the elements of Japanese culture are lost on foreign audiences, like how serious it is to posses a gun in Japan, and a few other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment