Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Walk Proud

While watching this film, I couldn't recall why I had added it to my list, but afterward I found out the actress in the film was Sarah Holcomb, who was in Animal House (The girl Pinto was with), as well as in Caddyshack (though I didn't realize it was the same girl, as she had much shorter hair). Apparently she made 4 films in 2 years and then pretty much disappeared from the face of the earth. She made one other film that I haven't seen, called Happy Birthday Gemini, which I am now on a quest to track down. Since it hasn't been released on DVD, the only copies I have seen for sale are VHS copies on ebay. I don't even know if I have a working VCR anymore...

The film also featured Robby Benson, who I had never heard of before, but some regard him has having a note worthy career.

Anyhow, I thought the film was a pretty accurate portrayal of gang membership and the concept of macho and chicano pride that made Emilio (Robby Benson) feel that being in a gang was a positive thing. The film follows him as his way of thinking changes towards the gang, to the point where he eventually quits. While the film didn't blow me away, I thought it was fairly well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment